DC Surfrider Foundation
Plastic pollution is suffocating our ocean and the many animals that call it home. Researchers estimate there are now over 5.25 trillion pieces of plastic in the ocean with the number continuing to grow every day. This pollution is impacting our marine ecosystems, wildlife such as seabirds, dolphins, fish, and turtles, and plastic fragments are even displacing plankton at the base of the food chain.
So what’s the best way to combat this global epidemic facing our ocean? It’s simple: we need to stop the problem at its source! The Surfrider Foundation’s Ocean Friendly Restaurants program does just that. One restaurant, one customer at a time, increases awareness, drives change in behavior and ultimately creates scalable impact to reduce our plastic (and water!) footprint.
As part of the Ocean Friendly Restaurant program, we've committed to:
1. Only reusable foodware is used for onsite dining.
2. Paper straws are provided only upon request.
3. No expanded polystyrene (EPS) foam is used.
4. No plastic bags are used for takeout or to-go orders.
5. Single-use utensils, straws, condiments, and other accessory items are provided only upon request.
6. Beverages are not sold in plastic bottles.
7. Proper recycling practices are followed.
8. All seafood is "best choice" or "good alternative" as defined by Seafood Watch, or certified as sustainable.
9. Composting efforts are in place for food waste.
10. Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis.
Learn more at dc.surfrider.org.